Hypothyroidism which is the reason for Myxedema in adults and Cretinism in children, is the condition when Thyroid Hormones (T4 and T3) are secreted in fewer amounts in the body. Hypothyroidism is the most common endocrine disorder mainly affecting women and the elderly. Almost 7.5% of women population in Australia suffer from Hypothyroidism
Autoimmune Disease-According to the western medicine the main reason of hypothyroidism is Autoimmune Disease i.e somehow antithyroid antibodies is produced which result in destruction of the Gland. This is 6 times more common in female and the frequency rises with age.
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis-This is main cause of goitrous hypothyroidism. Found more during the age of 20-60 years in women. This presented with small sized diffuse goitre, firm and rubbery in nature.
Drug induced Hypothyroidism-Drugs like Lithium carbonate, carbimazole, Iodine and many more western medicines hinders the release of thyroid hormones levels in the blood resulting in hypothyroidism.
Post-delivery thyroiditis- The function of the thyroid is slightly increased during pregnancy and lactation phase. Hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism during postpartum is usually a temporary condition and result from modification to the immune system necessary in pregnancy.
Iodine Deficiency-Thyroid enlargement known as endemic goitre occurs in few part of the world like Andes, Himalayas and central Africa due to lack of iodine intake from diet.
Sign and Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
Thyroid hormones are responsible for the metabolic rate of various tissues therefore underperforming of thyroid gland results in many endocrine issues, with slowing of mental and physical activities; like
2. Low appetite
3. Intolerance to cold
4. Dryness of hair, eyes, nails and skin
5. Weight gain
7. Hoarseness of voice
8. Low Pulse rate
9. Increase in blood pressure
11. Poor memory
12. Muscular pain and weakness
13. Poverty of movement
17. Loos of libido
Lonely treatment of Hypothyroidism in western medicine is replacement therapy with thyroid hormone (T4).Initial dose of Thyroxine tablet rest on the severity of the deficiency and on the age and ability of the patient, mostly cardiac performance. Moreover no cure for autoimmune hypothyroidism is found yet, so medication need to be taken for the rest of entire life.
Ayurveda is known for having particular approach to recognize the root cause and the treatment for hypothyroidism by focusing on the person as a whole rather than just on a specific part of the body that has the disease.
According to ayurvedic literature Hypothyroidism occurs because of vitiated Vata, Pita humours and Meda (Fat) tissues; so the focus in ayurveda is to balance these factors for healthy thyroid gland.
With ayurveda Optimal thyroids functions can be obtain through diet, herbs, yoga, meditation and breathing exercise (pranayama)
The Ayurvedic treatment of hypothyroidism is aimed at controlling the symptoms and treating the pathology of the disease to enhance thyroid functions. Ayurvedic treatment is safe as compared to western treatment.
Principle fundamental of ayurvedic natural remedies for hypothyroidism is to first clean the blocked channels from toxins to balance Vata,Pita and kapha. At the same time various ayurvedic medications which are deepna (improve appitite), pacahana (improve digestion), teekshna (penetrating) in nature are administered to enhance the digestive fire at cellular level and restore metabolism.
To treat low thyroid naturally, all these herbs are used from thousands of years in cases of hypothyroidism. Selections of the herbs depend upon Ayurvedic body type of the person, nature and severity of the symptoms.
1. Ashwangandha (Withania somnifera) - Ashwangandha root powder includes free radical scavenging action which is accountable for stimulates both thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) without any hepatotoxic effects.
2. Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)-Increase the conversion of T4 to T3 without increasing TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).Support the healthy thyroid function. Also helps of reduce weight because of its calorie burning property.
3.Kanchanara(Bauhinia veriegata and B.tormentosa and B.purpurea)-One of the most effective herbs for hypothyroidism.
4.Punarnava (Boerhaavia difusa)-Diuretic in nature so good in generalised swelling and numbness because of hypothyroidism.
5.Pippali(Piper longum)-Increase the absorption of selenium which is needed to convert T4 to T3.
6. Shankhapushpi(Evoluvus alsinodes)-effective if issues is at hypothalamo-pituitary level because of good anti stress property.
7. Kachanara guggul- Very effective compound ayurvedic preparation for Hypothyroidism.
8.Jatamansi(Nardostachya jatamansi)- Has antistress property so good in secondary type of Hypothyroidism.
10.Trikatu – These herbs strengthen the digestion and hence the metabolism. Really useful when there is a sense of heaviness, excessive weight snd poor appetite.
Both western medicine and ayurvedic medicine have the role in treating the Hypothyroidism but ayurvedic medicine is safer for health. Ayurvedic medicine mainly derived from the plants and with good life style, food style, yoga and meditation one can able to get rid of hypothyroidism without any other side effects.
1. Always take diet according to your Ayurvedic body constitution to avoid aggravating your body humours (Vata, Pita and Kapha), which are responsible for all the physiological and biological funtions in the body.
2. Avoid goitogens food (food which blocks iodine utilization in the body) like cabbage, cauliflower, turnip, cassava roots, mustard-greens, maize, sweet potatoes, spinach, soy products, pine, nuts, and peanuts.
3. Take more foods rich in iodine such as fish, shell fish, white onions, vegetables and root vegetables like potatoes, asparagus, etc
4. Drinking good amount of milk can help in preventing disorder of thyroids glands according to Ayurvedic literatures.
5. Using oils having medium chain fatty acids like coconut oil, helps in improving body metabolism so is consider good for thyroid glands.
6. Raise daily use of foods high in Vitamin B complex and vitamin A such as whole grains, seeds, dark green, yellow vegetables.
7. Avoid all heavy and sour foods.
Practice Yoga posture like Sarvangasana (shoulder stand), Halasana (plow pose), Suryanamastakara (sun salute pose), Suptavajrasana (Fixed Firm Pose) to boost thyroid gland secretion and raise tissue sensitivity to thyroid hormones.
Perform regular Ujjai-pranayama (victory or oceanic breath) to bring out toxins and heals thyroid gland. Also by doing alternate surya-bhedan (sun piercing breath) and anulom vilom (alternate nasal breath) brings a harmony between the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system.
Dr Gurnam Singh Saini
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery
MD Alternative Medicine
Panchkarma Detox Expert
Please send your query and we will reply you shortly.
Ayurveda stads for extensive and elaborate clinical examination to understand thenature of the disease